Your Headshot is Not a Passport Photo!
A lot of people go about getting a headshot the same way they would approach getting a passport photo. We’ve seen it a lot, and it’s a trend that needs to stop. Most of the folks that fit into this category are thinking one of the following two things:
“I hate having my picture taken, and it’s going to turn out awful anyway, so let me just find the cheapest place I can.”
“Yeah, I don’t look as good as I used to. I just don’t photograph well, so let’s get this over with. Where can I get a quick, cheap shot done?”
They’ve essentially resigned themselves to the fact that their photo won’t be good, and it’s not that big a deal anyway, so let’s just get this over with. Maybe their boss told them they had to get one?
Well, here’s the truth.
They’re completely right. You won’t find me fighting them on it either.
- If they approach it this way, they most certainly will get themselves a terrible headshot.
- Oh, and yes, it is going to feel like an awful high school portrait session. That’s what you decided to pay for.
- And lastly, that thing about it not being that big of a deal? Complete nonsense. If you care about your professional image and personal brand, you should invest in it. Period. Remember that saying “dress for the job you want, not the one you have”? Yep, it’s pretty similar with your profile photo. I’ve seen folks spend thousands with us for commercial photography, but they won’t spend a dime on a decent headshot. It leaves me shaking my head. Yeah, their product looks great, but the person selling it doesn’t convey any confidence. Think about it…
We do things differently… much differently.
We don’t treat our portraits and headshots like a high school portrait session. Remember what a terrible experience those were? You walked through the door feeling awkward, sit for a few snaps in front of some awful cloth background, and a guy who barely talked to you kept making you tilt your head in a way that felt funny. And, women will probably remember the rose… yuck!
So here’s some of what you can expect:
- You get a free consultation over the phone or by email. We’re going to get to know you a bit, find out what your looking for, and give you some tips to get you ready for the session.
- Our sessions are a lot of fun. We’ve got this down to a science, so things are as painless as possible. You’re going to feel good, not awkward.
- No cheesy, old-school cloth / muslin backdrops. They’re awful, and let’s be honest… no one really thinks those look good.
- No, these are not large, complex Hollywood productions with makeup artists, hair crews, and a pony. We get it. You’re a business pro. We respect your time. We’re fast, efficient, and excellent.
- Your photo isn’t going to have a creepy stare or a strained fake smile. We can’t stand those, and neither can you. Your professional portrait will look polished, crisp, and professional like something you’d see in a magazine.
- Yes, we’re going to retouch it for you, but no, your skin won’t look fake and like plastic.
Look around… the images on our page are not supermodels and actors. They’re real people, and yes, they look that good after we’ve worked with them. And guess what… you will too.
We’re confident we can have you looking like your most awesome self. Some advice? Skip the cheapos, don’t treat this like a passport photo, and get in touch with us for some magazine-quality awesomeness. You’ll be glad you did.
Connect with S18 Photography!
If you’re looking to book one of our legendary editorial-style portrait or custom headshot sessions… Drop us a line!